WSET Level 1 in Wines is a beginner level introduction to wine suitable for those starting a wine career or pursuing an interest in wine.
For individuals new to wine study, this qualification provides a hands-on introduction to the world of wine. You’ll explore the main types and styles of wine through sight, smell, and taste, while also gaining the basic skills to describe wines accurately and make food and wine pairings. Upon successful completion of the course and exam, you will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin.
What you’ll learn
- The main types and styles of wine
- Common wine grapes and their characteristics
- How to store and serve wine
- The principles of food and wine pairing
- How to describe wine using the WSET Level 1 Systematic Approach to Tasting Wine® (SAT)
Learn more about what we will cover during the class here: WSET Level 1 in Wines Specification (2022).
Assessment is by a closed-book exam of 30 multiple-choice questions.
Students enrolled in the WSET Level 1 Wine online will take the exam online via Remote Invigilation. The candidates will take the exam on a computer in a secure environment from their home where they are monitored via webcam, screen sharing technology and a secondary recording device (cell phone). Tests will be taken at a pre-determined date and time, and the price for the test is included in the course.
Results may take up to eight weeks to be released by WSET.
For more information and full details on the course requirements, please download the Specification below.
Wine Tasting Kit* by Master the World (valued at $100)
The price for the WSET Level 1 online includes:
- 6-bottle Wine Tasting Kit* ($100 value). Kindly note that these are tasting samples of small 187ml bottles, rather than the standard 750ml.
- All exam fees, certificate and lapel pin
- 12-months access to the online course and materials
- USPS shipping (certificate) to any US address, and Ground shipping (wine kits)**
*This kit is made for WSET L1 students who are training their palates to recognize benchmark wines from around the world. Orders are processed within 7 days of receipt. Ground shipping is included through UPS/Fedex from Northern California and can take up to 7 business days. You will receive a shipment notification when your order is processed to ship.
**Master the World usually ship via UPS to most US states except for the following: AL, AR, DE, KY, MS, RI, SD and UT. They can also ship to AK, HI and some international destinations for an additional charge – Please email directly at somm@MTWwines.com.